Feb 8, 2009

Welcome to Life's Soundtrack: First Post


Welcome to my music blog. Being that I am a new member of the blogosphere this is my first blog post ever, and I am not sure exactly what direction what the main focus of my blog will be. I am a musician so I am making my blog about issues and news in the music world. In order to gather information about important music news and issues I have gathered a list of some of the best websites I could find on the Internet. These websites can be found in the linkroll on the right side of the web page. In order to find these websites I used search engines such as Google as well as Meta-Engines like Dog Pile. The sites I have selected can be categorized into different criteria. Some are strictly interested with news in the music world like Billboard, others are organizations concerned with issues in music such as freedom of expression and censorship like the website Freemuse. There are also commercial websites like MTV, and finally others are music blogs such as the one I found from the "Guardian," a newspaper from the United Kingdom. I chose these sites based on the Webby Awards and the IMSA criteria. In order for Webby Awards standards to be met the websites that I chose had a sort of rubric I used when it came to their content, which is the information provided by the site whether it be text, sound, or video; structure and navigation, meaning that these websites are organized and information is accessible in a consistent intuitive way; virtual design, which is the aesthetic appearance of the website and how appropriate it is in regards to its content; and lastly experience and authority in their field. The blogs I chose easily met the IMSA criteria which means the author is citing and reading good material, and also has influence and is established in a community. Also, the content must be covered with depth and authority. Another important factor the IMSA criteria points out that the writing in is rhetorically correct for the content they are covering and the audience they are writing to. In addition according to the IMSA a good blog blog allows for comments and others’ points of view, and the bloggers are undoubtedly experts in their field. For example, many of the blogs I read are from the widely recognized and distributed music magazine “Rollingstone.” These blogs allow for readers comments and their point of view to be available to all readers. I hope my blog can be a valuable resource for my readers, and I also hope that my experience as a musician will be useful in making my blog distinct from other music blogs on the Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.